At the Paris Olympics, for the first time the American team was accompanied by a medical team, two doctors, a nurse and an athletics coach.
British physiologist Archibald Vivian Hill (1886-1977) described the maximal oxygen uptake (VO2 max). He conceived the terms O2-deficient, steady state and O2-debt.
German surgeon and sports physician August Bier (1861-1949) moved to the Chirurgischen Universitätsklinik München in 1924, where Professor Ferdinand Sauerbruch (1875-1951) ran the show. Bier also launched 'Deutschen Ärztebundes zur Förderung der Leibesübungen', the German magazine for Sports Medicine dedicated to sport medicine and sports science research.
German physicians Ludwig Aschoff (1866-1942) (photo) and Oskar de la Camp (1871-1925) started the Department of Sports Medicine at the Universität Freiburg, which under the guidance of Professor Hermann Rautmann (1885-1956) was part of the department Internal Medicine. The medical students were obligated to participate in 'physical exercises'. Rautmann had done a lot of anthropological research on soldiers during the First World War. For example, he was involved in heart enlargement among athletes and he investigated the hypertrophy of the heart during athletic training.
While working in Hamburg with internist and pulmonologist Ludolph Brauer (1865-1951), German physician Hugo Wilhelm Knipping (1895-1984) developed a spirograph for basal determinations.
A portable Douglas Bag from 1924.
German physician and physiotherapist Hede Teirich-Leube (1903-1979) played an important role in the development of connective tissue massage. In 1923 she started as a secretary, lab technician and photographer in the anthropometric laboratory of the Berlin Deutschen Hochschule für Leibesübungen and one year later she graduated there. She taught at the Krankengymnastikschule by Professor Wolfgang Kohlrausch (1888-1980). When he moved to the Universität Freiburg, she followed her teacher. In 1941. At the departure of Kohlrausch to Strasbourg, she took over the leadership in Freiburg and also completed her medical studies. From 1949 to 1970 she chaired the 'Landesverbandes Südbaden-Südwürttemberg der Krankengymnastinnen' and together with Professor Orthopedics Kurt Lindemann (1901-1966) and his colleague Wolfgang Heipertz (1922-2013) she published the four-part 'Lehrbuch Krankengymnastik'.