The idea of replacing a joint with an internal device is an old one, but for the hip it was first used in 1945 by French brothers and orthopedic surgeons Jean (1905-1995) and Robert Judet (1909-1980).
In October 1945, the French decree on medical checks on physical and sports activities stipulated:
"It is enough to help athletes orientate rationally towards physical activity and sports that are in line with their health and development."
This approach was extended in 1946 with new orders, which related to the medical declaration to be allowed to practice and to create sports medicine centers or CMS. At the same time, a specialized training in sport hygiene for physicians was started in the Medicine faculties. In 1951, Professor Paul Chailley-Bert (1890-1970) was appointed as the first dean of the Sports Medicine department in Paris.
Professor Jirí Král (1899-1995) founded the first Czechoslovak Institute of Sports Medicine at the medical faculty of Prague Masaryk University. He introduced the first wireless transmission of heartbeat and cardiological observations during sporting events.
A spirometer developed in 1945 by Francis Gano Benedict (1870-1957) and P. Roth, which was commercialized by the company Collins.
The closed-circuit respirator of Francis Gano Benedict (1870-1957), P. Roth and Collins, with which the oxygen consumption in small animals was measured.
A ready-to-use Douglas Bag from 1945.